Sunday, December 5, 2010

CHAPTER TWO - CHIEF OF SINNERS

Chapter Two
Chief of Sinners




When you enter the Beautiful City,
And the saved all around you appear;
I hope that someone will tell you,
It was you that invited me here!
Author Unknown

It was 1982 when I received this little poem. I cried as I read those words because they were penned by a doctor in our town who had recently been convicted of two murders. He was just beginning to serve his sentence in a Georgia penitentiary. However, my tears were of joy and deep humility that God had used me to catch a fish that many had written off as not worth saving.

Our little town reeled under the enormity of the crime. Two men, murdered in cold blood, right in front of the doctor's grandchildren. No one could believe it. Gun shots to the head we were told. Blood everywhere. Unbelievable. Not the doctor. For weeks it was the talk of the town. The trial was over quickly. Two consecutive life sentences for the doctor. Serves him right. Should have received the death penalty. Poor children. What a monster he must be.

Soon it was only talked about once in awhile at the Grill, a local restaurant, or at the Dairy Queen. Folks have other things to do in a small southern town. Life goes on. Even for me. I have a business to run. No time to think about the doctor. Until one day...




I own a local real estate business and my office is on the main street of our little town. I often take a shortcut through the alley that runs next to my building. Backed up against the alley is the jail yard. At that time, back in 1982, it had a high cyclone fence with razor wire at the top, confining prisoners to a bare exercise yard that only had a basketball goal. Prisoners would shoot a few hoops or talk to people through the fence; anything to kill time on a hot, humid Georgia day. It was no concern of mine as I drove down the alley. I had real estate on my mind. So many things to do…that is until I noticed the doctor leaning against the corner of the fence. He looked so downtrodden, so dejected.

It was honestly the first time that I had even thought about the doctor. I had followed the events of the trial with casual interest but hadn't really given any thought to the doctor as a person. Suddenly, my heart was gripped with a burden I couldn't explain.

I parked my van and went into the Christian bookstore next to my office. In my mind, I kept seeing the doctor leaning against the fence. As I entered the store, I noticed a local preacher leafing through some books. "Andrew," I said, an idea popping into my mind. "I wonder if you would do me a favor?"

"Sure," he responded with a smile.

I told him about my sudden burden for the doctor and that I would love to go see him, but I wasn't sure how my husband would feel about my going to the jail. I asked if he would please take a book to the doctor for me!

Glad to help, the preacher marched off to the jail, book in hand. Little did he or I know how instrumental that book would be in transforming the doctor's life. To this day I don't know the name of the book, but inside I had written a little note: "Dear Dr. Smith, Charlie and I love you, and we're praying for you. Love in Christ, Charlie and Jerri Tuck."

Two months later I was going down the same alley when I happened to look at the jail yard and saw the doctor next to the fence. The prisons in Georgia were so overcrowded that he was still in a holding pattern waiting for transfer to the Jackson Diagnostic Center. "Hi Doc," I yelled. "How are you doing?" His response was totally unexpected.

"Praise the Lord; I'm doing fine!" I think the van brakes must have been smoking as I came to a stop and jumped out. He was beaming from ear to ear. Something had happened to the doctor and I had a pretty good idea that Jesus had something to do with it. Knowing that we couldn't talk right out there with any degree of privacy, I arranged to go the next day to visit him in an official way.

Sitting with the doctor in a small office of the jail he began to tell me his story... He had been an alcoholic for many years. Over and over he had tried quitting and, in fact, prior to the shooting incident, had been "dry" for three years. Something happened that set him off again, and when he returned home that fateful day, there was a note from his wife which simply read, "I can't take it anymore."

In his search for her, he went to his step-daughter's home. Her husband met him on the front porch, and an argument ensued. Soon the son-in-law was joined by his father, and the arguing grew more heated and intense. In a rage the doctor went to his van, opened the glove compartment, took out his gun, and the rest is a matter of history.

Sickened by what he had done, awaiting transfer to the medical facility and then to prison, he felt that life was over.....not worth living. Who could ever forgive him? He couldn't even forgive himself.

Lying on his cot at night he devised a plan. He would kill himself. Since he was a diabetic, it would be so easy. Just inject an overdose of insulin into his veins, and it would all be over. Anything would be better than the hell he was in....the torment of his mind that he could no longer endure.



The decision was made. This was the day! And then Andrew brought the little book. He decided to read the book first, and then he would kill himself. But the Spirit of God had grabbed him. "I went up to the third floor of the jail everyday for thirty days," he recounted. "It was so hot up there. At least 120 degrees. I couldn't put the book down. At the end of thirty days I fell on my face before God. Jerri, He not only saved me, He delivered me from the desire to drink, He baptized me in His Holy Spirit, and He healed me. I have not had to have another shot of insulin from that day to this."

We cried together, the doctor and I. What a mighty God we serve. Kneeling together, we prayed and rejoiced at the marvelous mercy of God. As I left the jail, I couldn't quit crying. "Oh, Lord, please keep me sensitive to your Holy Spirit. Even the slightest impression from you I want to obey."

It's been over twelve years since the doctor gave his heart to Jesus. We have a joint bank account. I take care of his taxes and little things that come up. We write pretty regularly to one another, and each letter from him is such a joy. He was recently turned down again for parole. Let me quote from his latest letter: "Atlanta undoubtedly couldn't find a replacement for me so they've renewed my contract for three more years. They don't have me down and out yet, but they've got me staggering. Our Lord is serving this time with me. I haven't heard Him complain so I won't either. With love, Your brother in Christ."


Prayer for Today
Dear Lord,
Help me realize that your gentle tugging could make the difference between life and death. Lord, I need to be sensitive to your voice at all times. Let me not be so consumed with the affairs of this life that I neglect the silent heart-cries of those bound in sin and despair.
In Jesus name,
Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home