Saturday, July 30, 2011

FOR SO AN ENTRANCE


'My beautiful mother' Circa 1940

FOR SO AN ENTRANCE

When I received the call that mom had another heart attack I knew in my heart this was the big one. Five years previous she had survived, but this time I knew it was not to be.

That last morning she put a pot of coffee on, made some chocolate chip cookies (my favorite) and then decided to run to the bank to make a deposit.

As she drove into the bank parking lot it hit her…like a ton of bricks. Although the car was slowly moving it still plowed into another car. Mom slumped over the steering will. People ran to her from every direction.

A man across the street from the bank saw the accident happen. He reached her car door first. It was locked. He ran to the other side and just as he opened it Mom sat up, raised her arms and tears ran down her face as she looked upward.

“Are you okay?” he asked. Her eyes closed and then she slumped over the steering wheel again. She never regained consciousness. Within hours she was pronounced dead at the hospital. I never got to say goodbye.

After the funeral my brother and I obtained the police report and read the testimony of the young man who opened the car. We tracked him down at a local grocery store where he worked. He was stocking shelves when we approached him.

He was kind enough to tell us what happened. “When I opened the door I smelled a beautiful fragrance. It was like nothing I’ve ever smelled before; a heavenly fragrance. I’ll never forget it, nor will I ever forget the picture of your mother looking up into something. She saw something.”

As we talked to him we discovered he was a backslidden Christian. Our mother’s death had profoundly affected him. We gave him her Bible and told him to read it and to get his life right with God because one day we would all be in the same position…facing God.

I hope he did.

"For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." 2 Peter 1:11

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home