Thursday, September 22, 2011

SECURITY SYSTEM

SECURITY SYSTEM

My quiet morning was interrupted with the loud ringing of our doorbell. I couldn’t imagine who was at the door at 8:30. To my surprise (and chagrin) it was the pest control man.


I rarely, if ever, leave a sink full of dirty dishes before retiring at night. Wouldn’t you know, this would be one of those times? At least the bed was made. Charlie had gone into the den sometime in the wee hours of the morning and was snoozing in his recliner.

Since the doorbell is in the back hallway, I was just sure it had awakened Charlie. Fat chance. He was sawing logs and didn’t hear a thing.

Instructing the exterminator where to begin spraying I went into the den to tell Charlie we had company and maybe he better get up and get dressed. He was snoring away so I decided to let him sleep a little longer.



Finally, every room was sprayed with just the den to finish. I told Dana, the service man, to just spray around Charlie…which he did; still no movement other than Charlie’s breathing and his snoring.

Our little dogs were very aware of the presence of this intruder. With shrill yips and loud barks, they were doing their best to earn their dog food; still no movement from Charlie.


Several hours went by and by this time the pest control man was long gone. I was sitting at my computer when Charlie came in the room to give me a good morning kiss. “Sleep well?” I asked.

He told me he had a restless night and didn’t sleep good at all. “Funny,” I laughed. “The pest control man was here and sprayed all around you in the den.”

Charlie looked a little shocked, but always one with a comeback, he grinned and said, “Sleep well. Your husband is on guard!” Right! Hmm.


I’m sure glad my security is in God’s alarm system and not in Charlie Tuck’s! The burglars might carry me away, along with all my worldly goods and maybe our dogs too, before Charlie heard anything. Of course the fact that he sleeps without his hearing aids just might have something to do with his not hearing the pest control man today.

Isn’t it a comfort to know that the Lord never slumbers or sleeps? (Psalm 121:3-4). I’m reminded of this Scripture when I’m tempted to lie in bed, worrying about a problem. After all, there’s no sense both of us staying awake all night. God has all my problems under his control. So I just turn over and go to sleep.

Not only is God aware of everything that concerns us, He’s in perfect control of all our circumstances. His thoughts toward us are more than can be numbered. He’s thinking more about us and our situations than we are. (Psalm 139:17-18). He knows the plan, even if we don’t.

In Psalm 138:8 we are told, “The Lord will work out his plans for my life; for your faithful love, O Lord, endures forever.” It doesn’t get any better than that!

When our granddaughter Amber was only five years old she was spending the night with us. Our bedroom was strange to her and in her little mind, everything was a bit scary. I brought a little teddy bear to her and tucked him next to her. “Grandma, I’m scared.”

I assured her that nothing could hurt her and that Jesus was with her. “I know that Grandma, but I need some skin.” I had to suppress my laughter, but I gave her more hugs and kisses, staying with her for awhile until she drifted off to sleep. Grandma’s skin sufficed and she slept through the night.


We, that are grown, sometimes battle fears like Amber. However with adulthood our fears have grown from bogeymen to “How am I going to pay the light bill; afford rising gas prices; find a job; fix my kids; solve my friends dilemma?” And the list goes on and on. There’s never a shortage of things to worry about, including the bogeyman!

Know that the God of Israel, who neither slumbers nor sleeps will keep a guard around you today and throughout the rest of your life. His presence is better than the skin of any human being. With God you can rest assured that He is taking care of you. (I Peter 5:7)

1 Comments:

At September 22, 2011 at 5:26 PM , Blogger a joyful noise said...

I am so thankful that our God never slumbers or sleeps. His angels are also always on guard. This is the best security system. And our dogs work well too. :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home